So in my astronomy class, the prof is incessantly walking about the "molten iron & nickel planet core" theory. It has made me want to know more about the realities of heaven and hell. And then the advent of Rob Bell's heretical book, suggesting annihilationism and the belief that hell’s fire is not eternal or real. I know only those who KNOW God's Word to be the Rock of our faith will stand against this "Christo-Platonism."
Ever since Daddy passed into eternity, I have been slowly reading Randy Alcorn's book Heaven. It's a l-o-n-g read, chock full of biblical references and commentaries on heaven with info about what it will be like, at least according to our understanding of other-world physicalities and more dimensions than we can experience with our five senses.
Jesus said in John 14:2 that He "goes to prepare a place for you." This place is topos in the Greek, indicating that Heaven is an actual place. Matt. 25:46 Jesus says, "These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." If one is a physical place, then the other is also.
So I went online tonight and started looking up verses about hell. WOW. I didn't know that there are no fewer than 49 references to hell as being an actual geographic place, specifically in the center of the earth. Here are a few:
1. Ez. 26:20 – lower parts of the earth
2. Num. 16:32-33 – earth opened her mouth down to sheol.
3. Is. 14:9-10 – hell from beneath
4. Amos 9:2 – though thou dig into hell
5. Is. 5:14 – hell, they shall descend into it
6. Ez. 31:14 – lower parts of the earth, with those who descend
7. Ps. 63:9 – lower parts of the earth
8. Matt. 12:40 – so shall the Son of man be 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth
9. Eph. 4:9; Matt. 12:40- Jesus Himself descended to the lower parts of the earth, and spent 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth.
10. Luke 16:22-23 – Abraham's bosom and in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
11. Rev. 5:13, Phil 2:10- mentions everyone in Heaven, and on the earth and those under the earth
12. Rev. 9:2- demons come up from the bottomless pit during the tribulation period and smoke comes up with them and darkens the sky, real smoke from a real fire down in the earth
13. Ez. 31:16- "Down to hell, with them that descend into the pit" in the nether(lower depths below) parts of the earth.
And then several verses that I will have to study some more: Rev. 20:13-14 & Matt. 25:30
After Judgment Day, Death and Hades will be cast into the lake of fire into outer darkness.
The Lake of Fire is the final hell, right? So is there a "pre-hell" until after the White Throne Judgment?