Sunday, October 30, 2011

draw inner life

So, I have been reaching deep into NEW spiritual readings, ones that I have never read before. Wanting new manna. I've been enjoying a small book that Mom got for me several years back, a compilation of Augustine's writings and prayers gleaned from his Confessions, Homilies, and City of God.

Augustine's testimony is much like DB's will be one day. He, having a devout and praying mama, lived a life of sensual reprobation, but was radically changed by Jesus Christ. In his words: "Going mad on my way to sanity." He later became one of the most influential bishops of the Christian faith.

"In lowliness we find our heights. Those who want to ascend to spiritual heights without passing through the valley of humility find themselves turned back."

Hebrews 4:15-16, "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are- yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and grace..."

"My Father, where my plans are not your plans- oppose me! When a word on my tongue is not your word- silence me! Where I step outside your Word to struggle on my own, or to defend myself- draw me back inside of you."

"My Father, what a weak fool I would be if I continued trying to draw inner life from anything-from someone I love, from success in my work, even from spiritual service- other than you. So I will draw life from these, your words to me: You call me beloved in Christ Jesus. You call me righteous in Christ Jesus. High King of Heaven, I am your child. And my brother is the Lord  and Prince of all creation. When I am restless, wanting something to make me 'happy,' I know this is your call to my soul. I'll feast on your Word, and find my life in you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails