Saturday, June 19, 2010

no compromise

 Last Sunday, I steeped myself in Keith Green (and coffee!). I remember the day he died...I was 6 1/2 that summer in 1982 when Daddy called from the bookstore (he owned Chattanooga's Grapevine Christian Bookstore at the time) and told us. I laid on the carpeted floor near the radio speaker and cried my poor little heart out! What a sad day for us, but a glad day for eternity! 2 Cor 5:8 "...To be absent from... the body and to be at home with the Lord."

His wife Melody wrote his bio No Compromise, and it has been through many reprints. I can't believe that I haven't read it before, seeing as I have read Ragamuffin Gospel, Rich Mullins' bio- His Life and Legacy: An Arrow Pointing To Heaven, Oswald Chambers' Abandoned to God, and The Journals of Jim Elliot. All four were majorly inspirational and life-changing for me. I love this one too...Keith was a firebrand that burned hot for Jesus. I was watching some youtube vids of him performing some of my fav songs. Powerful stuff. Even his preaching was impassioned with his zeal and desire to see God's people live above the status quo of "churchianity."

It was good to think back and reminisce about my childhood spiritual experiences. Brought up memories of the home fellowship and "the boys". "The boys" were a group of guitar-strumming, LSD-fried ex-hippies, set of fire for Jesus and filled with the Holy Ghost. What a bunch of guys! They inspired so much of my life now. Their zeal for God and for ministering to others had impact, far beyond what they even knew. Fred Williamson and Jimmy Cash were my special buddies. I will have to find some pics of them from our childhood albums...our 70s hippie days. :-P

I love Jesus. I always have, as long as I can remember. I loved to dance around our house, singing at the top of my lungs, songs of praise to Jesus that the boys had written. The Holy Ghost filled my little spirit at salvation around 3 1/2 or so. It's a story that is uncommon, I know. I know Jesus saved me early and so wholeheartedly for a reason. Maybe my whole life and ministry is that reason, I don't know. I just trust that whatever it is, I am doing what He wants me to do.

Last night I attended the first women's worship evening at Cori's church. It was a lovely time of refreshing worship, humble and not pretentious. Cori's friend Andrea sang a song she had written, based on Song of Solomon. It touched me deeply. The song spoke of the Lord's rejoicing over me with joyful singing. I don't know why, but it touched me so much that I cried. The Lord met me there.

I want to grow from all this. Whatever the Lord has for me to learn this summer, I want it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails