Sunday, July 1, 2012

the Word gives life!

"The Lord isn't really being slow about his promise to return, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to perish, so he is giving more time for everyone to repent." -2 Peter 3:9


I have been talking with Mom and Tricia about the intensity that we feel regarding the imminent return of Jesus. I personally wonder WHY THE HECK He has not come before now; the earth is in a sad state. But the Church is not purified and spotless. And I feel an urgency that The Church must repent and turn from our wicked ways so that God can do His work in our homes, churches, country, and world.

I think of own family member(s) and loved ones who have not accepted Christ as their Savior. They know about Him in their head, but do not believe and trust in His saving grace. 

His life has not affected their life in a momentous way.

I cringe to think of all the students I have taught, those with whom I did not aggressively witness to of His saving power. "I am 'Jesus with skin on.' People can see Jesus in me!" was my mantra for long long. Too ignorantly long. :-(

When Tricia's friend L died in February, we felt like God was kicking us in the pants to get us moving and to work. His work.

I think of missionaries on the foreign field. With good intentions they go out in the name of the Lord, but they end up living a life of colonization or occupation, neglecting to really reach out to everyone that their lives touch in the name of Christ. And then there are the few who are doing His work in His name, reaching a few or a multitude with the Gospel. The truth.

Desperate times demands desperate measures.

Taking into consideration cultural norms, we MUST see and feel and act on our Great Commission. Otherwise we are neglectful and worthless servants of the Most High God.

But what do we really KNOW about our God?

I challenge myself. And consequently I challenge you, my reader. Find out who God really is through His Word. We perish for lack of instruction. All the instruction that we need is located in one Book. One Book with one Author. And if we neglect it, we end up creating a god in our own image, according to what we think He is or should be. Very small and impotent indeed.

I know that this is aggravating and angering to Him.

"You can't just understand the Bible with your mind alone, your spirit must enter into it, because it is written for your spirit to understand."
"It's Author is the only writer in the universe in the universe who can possibly know the truth about any of of the subjects named (worthy to study)."
"Now if you can bring to this study a belief in the Book that we are to take up, you will be able to enter deeper into the things of which it tells. But if not, you will only see the things which are on the surface. I do not mean an intellectual belief that comes from being convinced that the Book is logically true; I mean a will to accept every statement the Book gives. If you can do that you will have a key that will unlock a great many secret and beautiful treasures of knowing and wisdom that have been placed there for only those who believe. And if you can do that honestly, I can promise you that the proof of its truth will later be shown to you."

~Grace Livingston Hill, in The Prodigal Girl
Have mercy on us, Lord! And teach us to hear and obey you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails